clear clear clear
Inner Style clear clear Bio clear Blog clear Shop clear Real Girls
clear
Contact / Book Jess clear Programs clear Team Jess clear Home
clear
clear
  Grey Corner Graphic
 

October 24, 2007

What if you were beautiful?

Hey Everyone!!

One of our favorite guest bloggers is back with an amazing piece to share with all of you. Please give a warm welcome to Trudi Evans again!!

Trudi Evans is the publisher of As We Are Magazine (http://www.aswearemagazine.com) and online publication supporting women, and the current president of the Eating Disorders Action Group in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She likes to see the beauty in everyone.


If you want to be a successful writer, a life coach might ask “what would it look like to be a successful writer?” They like that question what would it look like.

So what would it look like to be beautiful today? That’s a hard question for most girls and women. The quick response would usually entail taller, thinner, blonder, straighter teeth, wider eyes, smaller nose, or a myriad of other physical features.

What if you looked in a mirror and saw the words “this is what beautiful looks like” right above your reflection?

I volunteer with the Eating Disorders Action Group and this is what we’re bringing to people in our community - a mirror with those words over it, and the opportunity to see one’s self under that heading, in full public view. It is unnerving for some and liberating for others. But without changing a thing about a person’s appearance, they can go from ugly to beautiful with only a shift in perception.

Beautiful is defined in so many ways, but for me, it is defined by what moves me. A warm genuine smile, the bright red leaves on the trees in October, the sound of my son singing to himself while he sits on the toilet. It’s also in my reflection when I choose to see it. I see a whole woman, filled with both a life lived and a future filled with potential. My freckles remind me of glitter, and my posture shows my resolve.

What does beautiful look like to you? Post these words above your mirror and see if you change your mind. THIS IS WHAT BEAUTIFUL LOOKS LIKE.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what if its not a eating disorder that you haveing problems with?

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's inspiring!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 - Sorry for not responding sooner!

Could you give me some idea of what it is that you're struggling with? Perhaps if you post it here, someone could provide some insight on a way to deal with it.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful message!

I saw a TV show last week that really drove home this message - it just blew me away because it's the exact opposite of what I expect from the media!

I wrote about it here: http://www.iwasthinking.ca/2007/11/28/how-to-look-good-naked/

Have a look & enjoy!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to try putting that above my mirror! Your such an amaazing person, jess!

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
     
clear clear clear