clear clear clear
Inner Style clear clear Bio clear Blog clear Shop clear Real Girls
clear
Contact / Book Jess clear Programs clear Team Jess clear Home
clear
clear
  Grey Corner Graphic
 

July 10, 2008

Tech-Knowlede

The other night I received a text message from my little sister, who is away at camp for the first time. It made me realize that nowadays we take our gadgets absolutely everywhere, and though this allows us to keep in constant contact with the ones we love, I can’t help but wonder if there are times when it might be better to just ‘unplug’.

I go out at night, and despite the excitement, the pounding music, and wall to wall bodies, there are always people staring into their phones, blackberries and pagers (do people other than doctors still have pagers?) communicating with the outside world instead of living in the moment, kicking up their heels, and having a good time. Our lives are hectic enough as it is, and yet we still often forget to take a moment for ourselves that doesn’t involve simultaneously watching TV, surfing the ‘net and chatting on the cell phone.

Although I am still considered young by most standards, a lot has changed since I was a kid. I yearn for simpler times when bragging rights were earned by being able to spit farthest, rather than who had the newest iphone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no technophobe, I just worry that people today are no longer able to engage the world without an interface.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating, but I sat there last night imagining a cabin of kids sitting quietly on their bunk beds - the electronic glow illuminating their young faces - and I shed a tear for all the unbraided lanyards and dusty tennis racquets, the bygone days of exuberant missives from the bunkhouse scrawled on fancy stationary; rainy day arts and crafts replaced with ipods and IMing on the camp wifi.

To me summer camp was sacred. It meant freedom, friends, running around like crazy people trying all kinds of new activities – and I’m sure that in reality not all that much has changed. So I guess the question is, why bring this stuff to camp. Isn’t camp already fun?
Isn’t life fun?

I say we all need to try living in the moment more, and stop feeling like we need to be available to everyone we know, all of the time. It is okay to just have an evening out on the town without texting the play by play of the evening to your 600 friends on Facebook. Unplug, let go, jump in and see what adventures you’ll find!
It’s okay – you can always blog about it tomorrow.

...................................................................................................

Elaine Raskin is the Director of Communications and Events at Talk To Jess. A Brooklyn native, she now lives in Los Angeles helping Jess transform the self-esteem of women and girls worldwide.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess!
I am a small town girl, I live on a farm, and I go through live with the most critical girls you've ever seen!
Yeah, so I'm not the skinniest, or the prettiest, but highschool has had some good times. I am a 3 sport athlete, I play all year round, and I am a little heavy.I hate looking at myself in the mirror, and I just a job to lifeguard, where I will be in my swimsuit all day! I'm very nervous, because there is a guy that I like there. So, I was wondering if maybe you had some tips or anything to maybe help me eat better, work harder, feel prettier, anything.
Thanks for listening, I think you are fantastic!

Love,
Shea♥

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I totally know what you mean about this technology stuff! I live in a very small town in Wyoming. It amazes me every time someone comes to visit how much they love the peace and quiet of a more simple, less technological way of life. I had a friend visit the other day. When she left she said: "I knew I wouldn't get reception here so I turned my phone off and left it in the car. I can't believe how good it feels to be free of being bothered every 5 minutes by a text message!" I've lived without that type of stuff for a few years now and I would never go back to that way of life because I see the simple things in life more clearly rather than being bombarded with technology. Though it is sad... after my visitors comment on their newfound peace, they always say "But I could NEVER give it up." I think people should try it for awhile... it feels REALLY good!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

Hey Jess,

I agree with you. I reside in Washington, DC and I'm so sick of the lack of human interaction. I wonder what would happen if people went for a day without their Blackberries, PDAs, MP3 players and Ipods. Maybe we would learn how to communicate with each other like humans again.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess. Ya, people use their phones and iPods wayyy to much. But, i know i'm being hipocritical, because i can't seem to not have my phone attached to my fingers for more than three hours. (I try. Trust me. When i get back, i usually have three txts, though.) And, i might pass out without my iPod in my ear. (Ok, it's dead right now.) But, when I leave all of my electronic "Gidgets" at home, i'm forced into the world. I'm not the prettiest or most popular, and i used to get made fun of a lot - and i mean a LOT - which is why I try to avoid people. I can have bit of a "Temper Problem" (Let's face it, we all can) when people get on my nerves. I grew up with guys, so if you let your guard down, you can get hurt. (Which explains my "temper problem".) People get mad at me, because I txt people too much ,or I never seem to listen to people with my iPod on, but honestly I can't help it! If i tried to become more "Interactive with people around me" then I wouldn't be here talking to you. Let's face it, if you didn't support electronics, you wouldn't have a blog. You wouldn't have had people ever hear about you, other than word-of-mouth. And people at my school would NEVER have talked about you. So, instead of bashing iPods and cell phones, you should just let the world be with their electronics. I'm not mean, I tell people the truth. Don't hate me for saying it. And I know a lot of people who would.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
     
clear clear clear