clear clear clear
Inner Style clear clear Bio clear Blog clear Shop clear Real Girls
clear
Contact / Book Jess clear Programs clear Team Jess clear Home
clear
clear
  Grey Corner Graphic
 

May 15, 2007

Hitting the road...AGAIN?!?

Yes, it's official. I am having a mad love affair with my luggage.
Once again, I will pack the goods and hit the road for another 2 week stint.
This time I am heading to my home state of Florida. Although I am worried about ol' FL, cause there are about 195 fires burning throughout the state. For a state usually plagued by Hurricanes - it is so bone dry that everything is burning. ;(

I will be in Orlando speaking at a conference and then doing some press for NBC's iVillage Live. We'll post air dates on the site so stay tuned...

Then I am off to Atlanta to see a young girl named Simmion graduate from high school. What is so extraordinary and special about this graduation is that I've known Simmion since she was about 9 years old. I've watched her grow up and mentored her through some pretty rough times. The things she has seen and been through I wish on no other human being. But Simmion or Pooh as we call her is a fighter. She is a gentle fighter. Strong to the core and always clear on a vision of success for herself. She will be the first in her family to graduate high school and go to college. She is literally shifting the entire family dynamic and being a superb role model to her younger brothers and sister. What I love most about Pooh is her heart. It is bold and big and never ceases to amaze me. I am proud to see this day arrive and you better believe I will be up on my feet at graduation - acting like the proud girl I am - hooting and hollering for her!!

If you thought about mentoring or becoming a big brother/big sister to someone - I highly recommend it. If you are fortunate enough in your life to share your gifts - do so - it makes you richer in spirit and experience. And with just a little time and some patience you can transform someone's life!

More soon,

Jess

PS Your stories about your mothers moved me deeply - even though mother's day has passed I am totally open to hearing more stories. Or you can share with me some of the people you have helped or mentored in your life. Let's pay it forward....

1 Comments:

Blogger this business of words said...

Mentoring is a beautiful thing. With the pressures that everyone faces, it's a gift that society should give itself more often.

Here, looking around, it seems that there are more people disenfranchised every day. The systems are overtaxed. The state university, for residents, is as expensive as my private college was 12 years ago. I see more and more younger people who stay only because they don't know how to leave; many who leave because they cannot afford to stay.

High schools are filled with cliques - nothing new, nothing different, save that rather than drinking kids are speedballing or strung out. But there are no systems in place to change them.

And yet, in contrast, there are hundreds of organizations focused on helping others outside of the US - aid organizations, awareness organization, fundraising commitments...

It seems strange to me how unwilling people can be to look within, how unable we are to focus our energies on prevention rather than waiting and hoping that the problem can be remedied later - only after it seems so out of hand.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
     
clear clear clear