clear clear clear
Inner Style clear clear Bio clear Blog clear Shop clear Real Girls
clear
Contact / Book Jess clear Programs clear Team Jess clear Home
clear
clear
  Grey Corner Graphic
 

May 21, 2007

Life and Death

Hi Everyone...

It's been a rough weekend...
My great aunt, Beaty passed away...and while she lived a long life it wasn't always easy. She was struck with Polio when she was a baby and never had the full use of her legs. She walked on crutches most of her life and then in her later years, she was struck by another bout of Polio and it paralyzed her from the neck down. So for many year she laid in bed all day with a very active mind but an inactive body.
But she was so much more than her disability.

She was a scientist, a great scrabble player, and a very loving woman who was a huge supporter in my life. She was an independent single woman long before the Sex and the City women made it so en vogue.

She loved watching political news shows and stimulating conversation. She was outspoken and bossy at times and adored my grandmother, her sister, with all her heart. My fondest memory of Beaty was sitting at her bedside with my grandma and talking about our family history. Really hearing their stories and absorbing their memories made me feel more connected to a time I couldn't imagine.

Anytime someone passes in our lives it reminds us of what we are living for. We must squeeze out all the energy in a day so that we are living fully and present! We must hug those we love and tell them we love them even if we think they already know. We must respect the journey of life, getting older, growing up, maturing, and looking back. And while we are on this journey we can't forget to fight for what we believe in, sing out loud as much as we can, and love with everything we've got.

I hope this finds you grateful for the life you have today.
I'd love to hear what you are grateful for...share the blessings!!

Jess

6 Comments:

Blogger this business of words said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss...

Gratitude. I'm glad that most every person with a disability - be it physical or mental - is more than their disability and that those who allow it to consume them are capable, when they put their minds to it, to move beyond. I'm grateful for the chance to interact.

But mostly, I'm grateful for finally having the opportunity to trust myself enough to create the life that I want to live.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I am so sorry to hear about this. We love you and you are in our prayers. She sounded like a great lady, especially if she was related to you or anything like you. I hope it gets easier for you and your family.

<3 Alicia

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Right on Biz of words and thanks Alicia!!

Death always puts life in perspective and I am so grateful for your support and belief in me. It gets me going on days that aren't so easy.

Sending you both big hugs!!

5:26 PM  
Blogger this business of words said...

Hi Jess - just wanted to say that I hope that the week has become easier as it has gone by.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, you're in my heart and prayers as always. xoxox

4:16 PM  
Blogger Katlyn Marie said...

I work with Mentally challenged people and I also work privately with a woman who has ALS, who is absolutely amazing. It is a joy, I had never realized how often I took life and everything it has to offer for granted until these wonderful people came into my life. I have learned so much from them, especially her. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, stay strong...you are amazing!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
     
clear clear clear